QUEEN ANNE'S LANE OVERVIEW
Click photo below to see full sized image.
The 18 houses on Queen Anne's Lane (Nos. 2521-2538) were generally constructed between 1960 and 1962. Prior to their construction, the only entrance to Hughes Mews (then Hughes Court) was from 25th Street. Al Wheeler was the developer and Foggy Bottom resident Melita Rodeck was the architect for this row house development. (Wheeler then had 900-904 Hews Mews built in 1963.) The houses originally sold for $45,000-$50,000; 2022 estimate - $1.2M. Currently, some of the garages are being converted to extra bedrooms (to allow more room for additional residents).
Queen Anne’s Lane ends at 26th Street, which forms the western border of the Historic District. Directly ahead is the 26th Street Park. The Foggy Bottom Association Garden Committee maintains the park and its gardens. The park is often used for neighborhood gatherings. To the right is a fenced dog park and a children’s playground.
The west side of 26th Street - now park land - was occupied by row houses and other buildings from the late 1800s to the 1950s. In 1914, for example, the area now occupied by the Park (then known as 932-934 26th St.) was the location of the Morning Star Baptist Church. These buildings were cleared for the Potomac Freeway/Inner Loop highway construction.
FBA History Project, "Queen Anne's Lane - a New Addition to the Historic District." Clio: Your Guide to History. https://theclio.com/tour/2098/8
A view looking up Queen Anne's Lane from the 26th Street park. The River Inn hotel stand at the top of the hill. (D. Vogt, Dec. 2022)
A view looking down Queen Anne's Lane from the center of Hughes Mews. The 26th Street Park sits at the bottom of the lane. (D. Vogt, Dec. 2022)