top of page

K STREET OVERVIEW

Year Built

1870s-1960s

Click photo below to see full sized image.

unnamed.png

Baist Map of Washington DC, Plan 3, 1892

Documents

History

The 2400 block of K Street was once the most prosperous section of what is now the Historic District.

No. 2422 is one of the Historic District's oldest, built in 1874. From the 1930s to 1950s, it served as "The Manila House," a gathering place for Filipino-Americans (as noted in the literary landmark designation plaque). The adjoining row houses (1885-1890) feature decorative iron stair risers and leaded stained glass windows.

St. Paul's Parish Episcopal Church has a long history, with its first church built on Washington Circle in 1866. The current church was built in 1948, when the George Washington University demolished its original building to build the (since relocated) GWU Hospital.

Resident/Owner

Recollections

Source Material 

FBA History Project, "The Manila House and St. Paul's Church." Clio: Your Guide to History. May 10, 2022. Accessed December 15, 2022. https://theclio.com/tour/2098/16

View west on K Street (D. Vogt, 2022)

bottom of page