953 25TH STREET NW
Click photo below to see full sized image.
D. Vogt, 2022
The original house was a small wooden frame building around 1883, "It was rented by an African American woman, Ella Jones, a nurse, and her dressmaker daughter." (A. Hoagland)
This two story, two bay rowhouse with an L-shaped floor plan, features a polychrome Flemish bond brick pattern and three decorative wreaths below the roofline. It has wood pilasters at the front entry door. The second floor windows retain segmented arches and their original shape. The pantry and the kitchen were in the back of the house. No. 953 was designed by architect R. Ough and built by Geo. W. Ray in 1909. This brick house replaced the wooden structure.
1883 - Ella Jones and daughter
1909 - George Ray
1983 - Monique F. Price
George Ray was a Georgetown grocer.
FBA History Project, Foggy Bottom Historic District Walking Tour, "The Tallest Row Houses." https://theclio.com/tour/2098/17
EHT Traceries, historical area building survey, 11/1983
The Row Houses in Washington, DC: A History, UVA Press, 2023, Alison Hoagland, p. 167
A sidewalk view of the house with brick retaining wall and front entry walk. (D. Vogt, 2022)