top of page

D. Vogt, 2022

951 25TH STREET NW

YEAR BUILT:

1883

HISTORY

This striking, but unkempt blue brick building (No. 951) was built by Peter McCartney for Jas. Gowens in 1883. It is likely McCartney's tallest remaining building. The brick building is three stories tall, two bays with with a chamfered square projecting bay. It has cast iron stairs leading to the entry door. The is door raised to the first story, recessed, composed of parallel wood French doors. The house has a pediment roof capping the projecting bay and brick arches over the windows. Note also the stained-glass transom window over the front door, and string courses on the first and second level.

In 1883, the house was built for $3,500. The house sold in 2022 for $1,225,000 and has been "renovated" and now is configured as two separate apartments.

RESIDENT(S)/ OWNER(S)

1883 - Jason Gowens, owner, b. 1843 and wife Ella/Ellen, b. 1846 and family. "Gowens, a plate printer maker moved into the house with his six children. Just seven years later, he built an even grander building next door at 949 and moved into the new house with his family; renting out the previous home to a white family, government worker Milton Ailes and his wife and two children. Gowans was a Civil War veteran. Also living in the house was an African American servant, Florence Page, the only live-in domestic help on this square in 1900." (A. Hoagland)
1890 - Milton Ailes, b. 1867 and wife, Mary E, b. 1867 and family, renters (see above). Milton E. Ailes was a government worker. Later he was affliated with Riggs Bank. In 1890, Florence Page, b. 1878 is recorded as a domestic live-in with the Ailes family
1903 - John N. Martine
1904 - Frank A. Martie, John N. Martie, William T Martie and Charles T. Lawrence
1906 - Vacant
1907 - Walsh family. Morgan, Patrick, Thomas, Walter and William
1908 - Vacant
1909 - 1911 Maris F. Bayne, Maris F Bayne, John S. Gavin, b. 1853, renter, worked as a calker and his wife and children.
1911-1913 - Vacant
1914 - 1920 - Barbara E. Shelton and family of five. In 1919, Morgan and Mathew Merritt joined the household. In 1920, Lillie and William A. Taylor joined the household.
1921 - Samuel and Nellie Clayton with Henry Ferguson. In 1922, Julia Harris joined the household.
1924 - Thomas Holmes, b. 1854 and Clara Holmes
1925 - 1927 ? - Vacant
1928 - Mary Boyd
1930 - Eliza Seigles, b. 1866. Her sister, Jeanette Ridgley, b. 1868, lives with her and works as a laundress. Jeanette's daughter Nellie Clarke works as a maid at Place Theatre and her granddaughter Evelyn Clarke, b. 1902 is a music teacher. In 1940, Nellie and Evelyn are still at the house and they take in lodgers, Charles Kirkpatrick, b. 1901, who works as a chauffer and his wife Marie. Other lodgers include Arthur and Gladys Jeter from South Carolina and Maryland. He works as a laborer. And John McKan, b. 1907 in Louisana is a wage worker.
1950 - Ester Shamburger, b. 1899 and son, Claude Shamburger Jr. b. 1938 both born in Mississippi. Son Beny D. and daughter, Vera T Shaumburger also live in the house. The Brewster family also from Mississippi also live in the house. Joel, b. 1905 works as a cook, Cleola (houseworker), James R. (manager of kitchen) A.C. (cook) , Nilon (cook), Wilbur (cook) and Ella Mae b. 1930 (music teacher and house worker). Some news articles describe Claude Jr. as being a former Harlem Globtrotter basketball player.
1954 - Vacant
1960 - Joel Brewster is listed at residence and the house has a telephone.
2023 - Claude Shaumburger, Jr. was still living in Foggy Bottom and moved to a senior living facility.

RECOLLECTIONS

SOURCE MATERIAL

FBA History Project, Foggy Bottom Historic District Walking Tour, "The Tallest Row Houses." https://theclio.com/tour/2098/17
Washington Post article on Claude Shaumburger, https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/1996/07/05/rim-shots/2e1ab374-cfe0-4869-b8c8-4af982757962/
EHT Traceries, historic area building study, 11/1983
US Census, 1880, 1900, 1920, 1950
The Row House in Washington, DC: A History, UVA Press, 2023, Alison Hoagland, p. 167.
City Directory, 1903, 1905, 1907

GALLERY

DOCUMENTS

Click on the download button to the right of the document title to view the document, if available.

Shamberger family information, 1950 US Census

bottom of page