949 25TH STREET NW
Click photo below to see full sized image.
A tall white brick building, No. 949, was built by H.F. Morris for Jas. Gowens in 1880. It has four stories and is crowned by a gable dormer window in the mansard roof, making it one of tallest row houses in the Historic District. It has a projecting square bay, highly decorative brick cornice, an altered front door (moved from the 2nd to the 1st/below grade) and double hung windows. It displays elaborate ornamental brickwork in a variety of patterns. Its four metal "star bolts" connect the façade to the joists behind the brick to stabilize the structure.
D. Vogt, 2022
1880 - Jas. Gowens
1983 - Arthur G and M. O. Tyler
FBA History Project, Foggy Bottom Historic District Walking Tour, "The Tallest Row Houses." https://theclio.com/tour/2098/17
EHT Traceries, historic area building survey, 11/1983
A sidewalk view of the house with low brick retaining wall. (D. Vogt, May 2022)
Article on house owner and neighborhood activist, Maria Tyler. (FBNews, ?)