top of page


Year Built


Click photo below to see full sized image.


D. Vogt, 2022



On the west side of 25th St. (Nos. 822-828) are four relatively plain individual buildings with varying roof heights and greater depth than the houses across the street. No. 822 is a detached, two and a half stories high and three bays wide brick house. It was built in 1878 for P. Hough, in an Italianate style. It has a raised first floor with a brick water table. The windows have angular chipstone bracketed lintels. The yard has an iron fence. The wood cornice is bracketed and dentiled, with a projecting eave.

The house is notable for its depth, with rows of eight windows along what appears to be a rear addition, which also has a separate entrance.


1880 - Pleasant C. Hough and family, 1880 Census
1880 - Margaret Bruce, (husband John, deceased); George Lowry, polisher; 1880 City Directory
1880 - George Lowry, publisher, 1880 City Directory
1890 - William Barron, lab; Patrick Barron, clerk; Thomas Barron, bartender, 1890 City Directory
1910 - Lawrence Gredlein, brewer; Richard Schmidt , brewer; 1910 City Directory
Alexander, Helen and Mary Wiskup, previous owners


Source Material 

FBA History Project, Foggy Bottom Historic District Walking Tour, "Story Book Row and Foggy Bottom's "Octagon" House."

EHT Traceries, historic area house survey and photo, 1983
U.S. Census, 1880
City Directories

A side view of house with separate entry mid-way back. (D. Vogt, Dec. 2022)

An aerial view of house and back patio area taken from the Plaza. (D. Vogt, Oct 2022)

A sidewalk front view and separate entry door and wrought iron fencing. (D. Vogt, May 2022)

The front views of the housing group. (EHT Traceries, Nov. 1983)

822-826 25tg St during renovations, mid-1950s (GWU Gelman Lib)

bottom of page