811 25TH STREET NW
Click photo below to see full sized image.
This group of houses (803-813 25th St.), built in 1890, differ from the relatively plain fronts of typical Foggy Bottom houses. As stated in the Historic District Nomination, the houses' "vernacular design elements" include "bellcast roofs, lancet windows, Flemish gables, and peaked lintels."
Neighborhood lore indicates that photographs of the houses were circulated in Germany to attract brewery workers. In fact, the houses were built five years before the Heurich Brewery arrived in Foggy Bottom, relocating from 20th St. (five blocks away), in 1895. But the "story book" houses could have appealed to German immigrants.
The houses were designed by architect Chas. E. Burden, and built by Frank N. Carver for Chas. Early and J.P. Jones. This team was also responsible for 801 25th Street, as well as 2433 H Street and 800-810 New Hampshire Avenue.
No. 811 is a two story, three bay brick row house with a mansard roof and dormer windows. It is similar in appearance to No. 805, although its first floor windows are separated.
No. 811 displays part of artist Dalya Luttwak's sculpture, "Five Tap Roots." Ms. Luttwak's metal sculptures reveal what plant nature prefers and needs to conceal, its roots. At the time of the Arts in Foggy Bottom exhibition, the installation included several yellow root like sculptures of varying sizes.
D. Vogt, 2022
FBA History Project, Foggy Bottom Historic District Walking Tour, "Story Book Row and Foggy Bottom's "Octagon" House." https://theclio.com/tour/2098/12
EHT Traceries, historic area house survey, 1983
A sidewalk view of house and low retaining wall. (D. Vogt, May 2022)
A view of 25th and H Sts. (FBNews, 1966)