2422 K STREET NW
Click photo below to see full sized image.
The 2400 block of K Street was once the most prosperous section of what is now the Historic District. No. 2422 is one of the Historic District's oldest, built in 1874. From the 1930s to 1950s, it served as "The Manila House," a gathering place for Filipino-Americans (as noted in the landmark designation plaque).
The Manila House (No. 2422) was built in 1874 in an "Italian Villa" style. It is the most ornate in the Historic District. Built of concrete-block, the house is three-stories high and three-bays wide and features a prominent oriel bay window with hood molding. It also has decorative insets with cupids in relief above the door and windows. It was a gathering place for Filipino-Americans in the 1930s-1950s and featured a garden in Snows Court that grew native Filipino vegetables. In 2017, Filipino-American activists worked with the American Library Association to recognize the Manila House as a literary landmark, with a plaque in honor of author Bienvenido N. Santos. Santos (1911- 1996), wrote about the Manila House in a collection of short stories, "Scent of Apples," the winner of the 1981 American Book Award.
St. Paul's Episcopal Parish now owns the building, which houses the Acton Academy, a Montessori-based school.
FBA History Project, Foggy Bottom Historic District Walking Tour, "The Manila House and St. Paul's Church." https://theclio.com/tour/2098/16
Carandang-Tiongson,Titchie, "The Manila House In Washington, D.C.," Positively Filipino, May 2017 (link below)
Lee, Kris, "A Filipino Literary Landmark: The Manila House in D.C.," WETA Boundary Stones, Jan. 30, 2020 (link below)