top of page


Year Built


Click photo below to see full sized image.


D. Vogt, 2022


"Snows Court News, Another First," FBNews, Oct 1959


Numbers 1-7 Snows Court are seven original red brick (now painted) row houses, built in 1890. They maintain their historic facades as well as original brick rears. The houses are 13 feet wide and 28 feet deep. They are 2 1/2 stories, with side entry stairs leading up to a first floor door. Segmental arches are present above the door and all windows. A simple brick motif cornice runs the length of all seven buildings. All units have cellar windows on the lower right side of the façade.

They were built by James H. Grant for developer Samuel Norment. (Norment was the same developer responsible for the Fitzgerald (840-844 New Hampshire Ave.) and adjoining row houses.) This grouping of homes helps us visualize how the entire alley must have looked during the late 1800s. In 1905, these very basic dwellings with four to five rooms rented from $6.50 to $9.30 a month. They may have been occupied by at least two families and additional boarders.

Starting in 1952, new residents and developers started buying and renovating the neglected Snows Court row houses, following the example of the nearby Georgetown neighborhood. In 2022, these small, but geographically desirable, homes sell in the $800 - $900k range. " ... The 93 year old dwellings, which had deteriorated into scarcely more than hovels, each occupied by 10 or 12 unfortunate Negros, were stripped back to the bare walls. All interior partitions were removed, and new flooring was laid over the old. Gas, electricity and inside plumbing, which none of the houses had before, were installed," according to an article about Snows Court in the Washington Star in 1953.

In 1959, Snows Court had "its first wedding. It was solemnized by Justice Whitaker of the Supreme Court." Ms. Barrett, the bride, was his secretary. It was held in June, in the living room of the rowhouse.

At one point in 2022, there were plans to locate an additional modern row house (to be compatible with the Historic District) on the vacant lot next to No. 1. It would be the first new house built in Snows Court in well over 100 years.


1959 - Ceila Barrett (and the new Mrs. James Liebeler), Margaret Bryan
1983 - Drew Blumenthal


Source Material 

FBA History Project, FB Historic District Walking Tour, "Snows Court Row Houses ."
Foggy Bottom Association News, Feb. 1961
Rhea Radin, "From the Bottom Up," Foggy Bottom News, June 1959
George Beveridge, "City's Foggy Bottom See Test Ground of Urban Renewal," Evening Star, Oct. 23, 1955
EHT Traceries, historic area building survey, Nov. 1983
Isabelle Shelton, The Washington Star, Nov. 8, 1953
"Snows Court News," FBA News, October 1959

The windowless side view of the house and brick side entry. (D. Vogt, Dec. 2022)

A view of the rows facing 25th Street in 1972. (Evening Star, PM Schmick, Aug 2, 1972)

View south towards alley dwellings in the summer of 1947. Gas tanks tower over the rooftops. (unknown, 1947)

Winter 2021, with views of rear facades of the seven rows and condo building in distance. (D. Vogt, Dec. 2021)

A view of the historic 7 rows from 25th St. entrance. (D. Vogt, Dec. 2022)

1-7 Snows Court in the 1950s with rear view of 931 25th St, GWU Gelman Library. Special Collections

Jos. M. Wise Realty ad for renovated Snows Court row houses 1-6, around 1950-1960

bottom of page