940 24TH STREET NW

Year Built

1884

Click photo below to see full sized image.

unnamed.png

House History

A typical Foggy Bottom historic row house is brick, 12-16 feet wide and 26 feet deep, and two or three stories high. Most of the houses have fenced in gardens or patios in the back. From an architectural perspective, the “late Victorian” row houses generally have flat-fronts and simple ornamentation. Builders used pressed and molded brick detailing builders to make even modest houses appear distinctive.

24th Street has four colorful historic row houses (Nos. 936-942), which were built for A.D. Elliot by Oliver Cox in 1884. The brick buildings are two-stories and two-bays. They share a continuous frieze running above the top windows connecting the houses. They also feature triple-brick arches over the window and doors, and three retain transom windows over the front doors. The houses back onto Snows Court.

Ownership History

Recollections

Documents

Source Material 

FBA History Project, Foggy Bottom Historic District Walking Tour, "Historic Houses and Modern Murals." https://theclio.com/entry/144542