824 25TH STREET NW
Click photo below to see full sized image.
D. Vogt, 2022
On the west side of 25th St. (Nos. 822-828) are four relatively plain individual buildings with varying roof heights and greater depth than the houses across the street. Nos. 824-826 were built in 1886 by John Scanlon, a prosperous saloon keeper.
No. 824 is a rectangular two bay, three story brick house. The door at the left is slightly above the ground and has a wood frame crowned by an entablature. The cornice has been replaced by a raised metal paneled roof.
The distinctive gate is not original to the property. It was purchased at an antique store in Maryland. Jackie Lemire, April 2023
FBA History Project, Foggy Bottom Historic District Walking Tour, "Story Book Row and Foggy Bottom's "Octagon" House." https://theclio.com/tour/2098/12
EHT Traceries, historic area house survey and photo, 1983
The sidewalk view of house with black metal fencing. (D. Vogt, May 2022)
A close-up view of the wrought iron entry gate. (D. Vogt, May 2022)
A detail of emblem on wrought iron gate fabricator, The Steward, Cincinnati, OH. (D. Vogt, May 2022)
The facades of the rows before renovations in the 1950s. (GWU Gelman Library)
The facades of rows in 1983. (EHT Traceries, Nov. 1983)