805 25TH STREET NW
Click photo below to see full sized image.
D. Vogt, 2022
This group of houses (803-813 25th St.), built in 1890, differ from the relatively plain fronts of typical Foggy Bottom houses. As stated in the Historic District Nomination, the houses' "vernacular design elements" include "bellcast roofs, lancet windows, Flemish gables, and peaked lintels."
Neighborhood lore indicates that photographs of the houses were circulated in Germany to attract brewery workers. In fact, the houses were built five years before the Heurich Brewery arrived in Foggy Bottom, relocating from 20th St. (five blocks away), in 1895. But the "story book" houses could have appealed to German immigrants.
The houses were designed by architect Chas. E. Burden, and built by Frank N. Carver for Chas. Early and J.P. Jones. This team was also responsible for 801 25th Street, as well as 2433 H Street and 800-810 New Hampshire Avenue.
No. 805 is a two-bay, two-story brick building with a cottage appearance. The second floor has a steeply pitched, shingled roof, which slopes out at the eave line.
FBA History Project, Foggy Bottom Historic District Walking Tour, "Story Book Row and Foggy Bottom's "Octagon" House." https://theclio.com/tour/2098/12
EHT Traceries, historic area house survey, 1983
A sidewalk view with iron fence. (D. Vogt, July 2022)