803 25TH ST NW
Year Built
1890
Click photo below to see full sized image.

D. Vogt, May 2022
Documents
History
This group of houses (803-813 25th St.), built in 1890, differ from the relatively plain fronts of typical Foggy Bottom houses. As stated in the Historic District Nomination, the houses' "vernacular design elements" include "bellcast roofs, lancet windows, Flemish gables, and peaked lintels."
Neighborhood lore indicates that photographs of the houses were circulated in Germany to attract brewery workers. In fact, the houses were built five years before the Heurich Brewery arrived in Foggy Bottom, relocating from 20th St. (five blocks away), in 1895. But the "story book" houses could have appealed to German immigrants.
The houses were designed by architect Chas. E. Burden, and built by Frank N. Carver for Chas. Early and J.P. Jones. This team was also responsible for 801 25th Street, as well as 2433 H Street and 800-810 New Hampshire Avenue.
Nos. 803 and 813 generally match, with a vaulted intersecting gable creating the second floor and a mansard roof with fishscale shingles.
Resident/Owner
Recollections
Source Material
FBA History Project, Foggy Bottom Historic District Walking Tour, "Story Book Row and Foggy Bottom's "Octagon" House." https://theclio.com/tour/2098/12
EHT Traceries, historic area house survey, 1983
Street view (D. Vogt May 2022)
Side view, showing alley between 801 and 803 (D. Vogt, May 2022)
